Sunday, June 28, 2009

Who'd a thunk it?

Who would have thought, after three weeks of crying in church that I (Joy) would have made it all the way through the service today without crying? My day started out thinking about things that were never thought about. As I was heading to the church to practice my offertory I started thinking about the piano. It may not be the best piano on the planet, sure the action is stiff, but it was purchased in memory of my Grampa Wilson.
I never met Grampa Wilson (or Wentworth for that matter) - so there was no way for the family to know how much that piano would influence my life. It was from listening to that piano in church every Sunday that I developed a desire to learn myself.
As I have gotten older, watching my own children with their Grandfathers, I realize how much I missed not knowing my Grampas. I feel sort of like playing that piano is the closest I will get to him, in this world. So, I'm glad that I got the chance to play today, and that I even managed to play without crying.

Tonight is our farewell party at the church, and I doubt I'll make it through that without crying. We'll see...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Joy,

I was filled with so many emotions this morning... I think I finally allowed myself to realize that, this morning was your last morning at DBC. The last time I'd hear your voice ring through our sanctuary. The last time I'd be moved by your piano playing for a long time. I keep saying that I will see you soon (you know I'll count down the days).

Ken & Joy, Cindy said it best tonight... I'm not crying because you're leaving, I'm crying because you're following His will and I am sad that you will live far away. I become filled with Joy when I think about all the work you will do for Him, I know it will all be only to His glory. As your best friend I will miss you terribly, and I will cry because I love U. I look to the day that we are reunited once again as a family to fellowship and worship Him together!

I love U all, me