Thursday, September 10, 2009

What a Day!

It all started out so well, and looked to be a relaxing - do nothing sort of day. Then, I sat down at the breakfast table and looked out at the backyard. So many bushes, and tree branches, and not enough light. We had been saying for a while that we wanted to fix it up, but it just hadn't happened. So, at 8:05 I left Emma at the table, walked down to Francisco's house (gate guard/gardener/car washer/etc...) and asked to borrow some tools. Thankfully he agreed to come help me. I say thankfully because they don't use pruners here, they use machetes.

When he arrived and I asked what I could do, he declared he didn't think I could use a machete. Bad idea, challenging the redhead. I may not have used it nearly as well as he, but I wielded that machete pretty well, and didn't even lose any fingers. The backyard looks awesome now! We can actually see the sky and the girls can go outside to play, and the hammock doesn't run into the huge bee attracting bush.

So that was an eventful morning, but it kept going - for worse.

I got Emma buckled into the car on our way to the library, realized I didn't have the library bag - so I hopped out to go get it. Car is in the garage, Emma is in her seat, keys are in the ignition, doors are unlocked. As I'm looking for the bag (which it turns out Ken had already brought to school) I hear a beep from the car. Not a horn beep, an arming the alarm beep. Turns out our car locks itself. Unfortunately it locked itself with Emma in it, the radio running, and all the windows up. I was freaking out!!!! I immediately tried Ken's cell, to no avail as he was in chapel. He silenced it, and then forgot I had tried to call and went to his homeroom class. I think it was 10 minutes later when someone from the school finally found him and got him on the phone. So, at this point Emma has been locked in the warm car for 13 minutes or so, with no open windows, and I'm contemplating throwing a cinder block through the front window. We (Francisco and I) are trying to get Emma to unlock the car - but the poor child can't reach, and can't unstrap her legs from the seatbelt. She can reach the window button, but the child lock is on. I tried to call Carrie to keep me sane while I waited for Kenneth, with no idea if someone was coming to unlock or break into the car, and the Vonage phone was out - and my cell was locked in the car. (Oh, btw, we have no spare key for the car apparently - that will be remedied soon!) Finally Ken arrived (almost 15 minutes later) with Maynor (from the school) carrying a jimmy. Praise God that after 1/2 hour in the car Emma was fine! It was a scary parenting moment though that is for sure!

Trauma over, we went and got the kids and Mrs. Perez (Ab's teacher) and her daughter Natalia, and went to McDonalds. Now Natalia and Abigail are playing nicely together, and quietly, doing watercolor paintings. The door to the backyard is wide open and there is a nice breeze coming in, and no bees. The day turned out well after all, so far....

No comments: