Saturday, February 7, 2015

Vehicle Update

On Wednesday I wrote, "We feel blessed to have found this vehicle. We continue to pray it is as good as it appears." Sadly it was too good to be true. After putting down the Q2,000 "reserva" we slept on it. Thursday morning I decided to run a Car Fax report on the vehicle identification number. The report reported an accident - which the guy had disclosed. However, it also reported that the last odometer reading before it left the States was for just over 207,000 miles - not the 92,000 miles it was currently reporting. We are attempting to get our money back, but, as Guatemalan laws are not quite as strict as the US/Canadian laws we may not be able to.

Friday I resumed my search for a vehicle. We're currently looking at another 2003 Honda Odyssey. Joy and I went to see it today as we were nearby for Joy's dentist appointment. It is in good shape and also has low miles (just over 116,000 km ~ 72,000 miles.) They say they might accept our Sienna as partial payment which lowers how much we'll need to spend.

On Monday I will take our mechanic, Cesar, and his engine diagnostic tool over to the vehicle to do a more thorough check. If it receives the "Cesar-seal-of-approval" then we will likely take it. As we were pulling out the guy said he also just received a 2005 Honda Odyssey - but he thinks it has 90,000 miles. With those miles I'm concerned we might need to worry about the timing belt. Hopefully it'll be there and Cesar and I can cross compare.

No further movement on the citizenship. First step will be Thursday when we submit Abigail's passport renewal. Friday I'll submit mine.

Thanks to all for your continued prayers.

-knme

No comments: