Thursday, June 12, 2008

Praise God for Health Care!

I am beginning to think that it is time for me to start renting out a room at our pediatricians office. We know that when we are in the center of God's will that is when Satan really wants to attack us. It seems that he has chosen the girls health, and ours, to be his method of choice.
Literally since the week we decided to follow God's call to Guatemala, one of us has been sick.

It all began with Abigail's chicken pox, and then her other chicken pox. Apparently the vaccine is only 90% effective. Hmmm...does that mean she is in the top 10%, or an overachiever, or both? The next big problem (at least that I remember) was that Emma seemed to have stalled in the weight gain department. (Great for my back, but not so much for her chart.) We had to have her tested for a variety of things. Turns out there isn't a test for just plain old stubborn. (Unless you count her genes.) As far as we know she is now gaining weight nicely - but still stubborn. Then of course there are the normal, wintertime colds, infections, viruses, etc...

Ken had a bout with some virus that caused him to take an additional 3 days off work, but claims that he is now on a "no sickness" diet. Joy had pneumonia and various other viruses, but escaped any major damage like broken arms. Praise God!

For the past few days Abigail has been complaining of leg pain, and limping around the house. Well, our plans for a nice relaxing day at the beach (as relaxing as it can get with a 4 and 1 year old) turned into a day in the radiology department at our local hospital. Though I am excited that we have a local hospital, and that is even has a radiology department that doesn't look like it escaped from WWII, it was a less than thrilling experience. Abigail had her hip X-rayed, but as far as we know there is no abnormality (I can hear snickering...I meant with her hip!) The doctor thinks that she has a virus that has settled in that particular joint. She reminds me a little bit of Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol. Bless her little heart she was still determined to play on the playground today.

Though the sicknesses have been annoying, we need to remember to rejoice in them. Satan will persecute us when we are doing the right thing....well, Nanananabooboo Satan we are still going to follow God. (I know, I just opened myself up for some kind of health disaster - remind me to rejoice when it comes!) I am very glad we have the health coverage and doctors here that we do. If any of you are reading, thank you!

1 comment:

Carrie Terry said...

Ken & Joy,

I am so pleased to hear that Abigail is just fine. Don't forget to thank God for Ibuprofren...If your family is anything like mine then I'm sure you have gone through bottles of it by now.

I continue to pray for your family...I am sure going to miss each and every one of you, truly I am!

See you in Church,
love Me