Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Test of Flexibility

All was good and peaceful, until I drove onto campus and saw smoke pouring out of every building. A little concerning since we had a recital scheduled in the chapel tonight. I wouldn't even have batted an eye if the buildings were on fire, because that at least would have been unplanned for. Fires overrule schedules, period. It was however, smoke from the fumigation which had just happened. Fumigation which closes everything down until the next day. Fumigation that was not communicated to those of us who needed, and had reserved, the use of the buildings this evening.
Oh well, the bugs in the chapel might still live. I thought about rescheduling, and then realized I had no time (and really the kids that suggested it were just nervous.) At that point we had (not me, the maintenance man) already opened the doors and windows in there and were waiting for the smoke to clear. I thought, we can just start late, but was quickly reminded that we really couldn't enter the building for 8 hours. Hmmm...plan C. We hold our breath, take short trips in and take all the stuff outside and have the recital there. So that is just what we did. A few wind blown pages, lots of dead bugs thanks to the rigged up lights, fear of rain on the piano, and great performances later - my first ever all outdoor student recital is finished.
Just think about how that would have rattled the old Joy. Not anymore! HA - I've got this flexibility test aced (at least tonight.)

1 comment:

Jon said...

Who are you and what did you do with my sister?