Thursday, February 14, 2008

Driving - Check!

Well now, that wasn't as bad as I thought. Yesterday when Becky and I, Joy, got back from the hospital she said - "OK, you take the car and follow me." Follow her, funny, but she wasn't joking. So I got my first crash course in driving Antigua style with no one in the car with me.

Some of you may be thinking - "What's the big deal?" Well, first off the stop signs are optional, it is all done by drivers hand motions and whether or not someone feels polite. Most of the cars have no brake lights, so you have no clue when they are stopping or turning. The streets are very narrow and normally there are cars parked on both sides, so it is a bit like an obstacle course. You can pass, or get passed, anytime you want. Oh, and the one way streets, well...those are apparently optional as well. Oh yeah, and there's this little thing of giant pot holes and random speed bumps, and big stone pillars at the ends of the streets to block off busses, and make life generally difficult. I am personally of the opinion that everyone in the car has to suck in and hold their breath in order to make it through the pillars without scraping the sides of the car.

But, God is gracious and we made it to school today with no accidents, and I wasn't even really that nervous. (Though Ken did say he thinks he lost about a pound fretting.)

No comments: