Tuesday, February 12, 2008

You want us to eat what?


OK - for anyone that is under the impression that we are vacationing, we had the "luxury" of eating pig head today. Ken didn't mind it nearly as much as Joy (and Becky.) It was quite the joke of the office amongst both Americans and Guatemalans. They are trying to run the food program by donations, and well, someone donated 5 pig heads. The taste was wonderful, Joy is not so sure she wants to know what the crunchy pieces were.

Yesterday when I (Joy) got home from working at the school the kids were out taking a walk with the helpers. I was shocked when Emma literally could have cared less that I was home. She made absolutely no motion of wanting to come to me instead of staying in Marisela's arms. As traumatized as I was this is actually really good because it means she is adjusting well. She has also started walking even more, though we didn't think she would have any need to with her three caretakers. Abigail and the boys play together very well and don't need much watching since the yard is totally enclosed, thusly Emma gets A LOT of attention and she is very much loving it.

Abigail did her homeschooling with Marisela yesterday and began learning the Spanish alphabet. I was very impressed with Marisela's teaching and would easily let her do it every day so that Abs learns even more Spanish. She came here to the school today and went to the kindergarten class. She lasted about an hour, until her bug bites started to hurt and she got frustrated not being able to explain this to her teacher. She did dive right in though, and I was saddened as I watched her walking away to her classroom holding the principals hand.

When I went home to pick up the kids for school Emma very distinctively said Hola to me, that was exciting. I am very pleased with how well both the girls are adapting.

I began the process of picture taking today and so far it is going well. There is a lot of translation work to be done, but it has been a very good way for me to learn some Guatemalan phrases. Thank you to all of you who have been praying for confidence in my Spanish, I am certain it is helping. Please continue to pray that we will make the time for both our family and our time with God. Please continue to pray that God will reveal to both us and the Lovealls if this is the place that He wants us to continue to serve Him.

We miss you all, but we sure are enjoying the nice weather, grass, and outdoor flowers.

No comments: