Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ahhh...fresas!

Ok all our grocery shopping friends, get your math brain on. What would this cost in America?

2 pounds of fresh strawberries, 3 avocados, 2 pounds potatoes, 1 pound fresh green beans, 2 heads of garlic, 2 onions, 9 bananas, a watermelon, and a pineapple.

Now, I remember that pineapples alone cost about $3, and strawberries were up around $3 as well. Can you even get watermelons in New England right now? All that fresh fruit and veggies...less than $10 this morning. It was AWESOME!

A friend that just returned from the states told us about this little store run by some Mayan women. I walked in the door and they just started streaming out "do you need, do you want to buy, etc..." I told the first woman that got to me what I needed and she did all the rest. I was even able to say "I want it ready in three days," and she picked out the best ones. We will definitely be going back there!

Oh, and we got the van back today. The mechanic said something about a sensor, a butterfly, and the accelerator all in the same sentence. So, when we find out what was really wrong we will let you all know. We drove the van to school today and it seemed fine, much better in fact.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Save that pineapple top so you can root your own.

Mostly we rely on friends and coworkers for fruit from their yards. However, it's either feast or famine. We'll get a bag of 30 mangoes one day. Then a bag of 20 lemons a week later. Followed by 10 avocados a month later.

Carrie said...

Ahhh... what a relief! Good news feels so... well, GOOD!!

Count me in on grocery day, when I come to visit of coarse. To answer your question, yes we can still get watermelon I'm willing to bet not as fresh though.

I love mango, I'll send you a recipe for mango chutney, we put it over pork (chicken would be nice as well) that has been cooked on the grill. Josh I bet you'll like it too:) Ken and Joy you'll have to read up on how to care for a pinapple plant/tree I say plant it in the side yard:)

So good to hear Joy is feeling well and things are looking up for all of you. I love U all very much, I anticipate our next call on skype!!

Many prayers going your way,
Carrie

*Mango Chutney*

3 ripe mangoes
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

*Avocado Salad*

1 head of lettuce
3 tomatoes cut into wedges
1 yellow bell pepper cut into slices
1 avocado diced or cut into wedges
2 tbsp. thinly sliced chives

best with a lime dressing:)