Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It's all Relative

High speed - I think they may call our internet that because here we are up high; definitely a term that relates to how most drivers get from one place to the next, or one speed bump to the next. My family laughed tonight when I told them the speed of our "high speed" internet. Hey, at least we have internet and it's not dial up! Of course, getting internet at home was quite the experience. I'm ok with computers, but by no means do I know the words for "static IP address" in Spanish. Who knows things like that?? I just had to translate individual words, while the poor man (who was on the phone - hard enough in person I say) waited for me to figure out what on earth he needed. That's OK, this is Guatemala - you get used to waiting. Like for example, we are still waiting for the technical internet guy (not my husband) to come figure out our wireless issues. He was supposed to come after 2pm today, but apparently came around 11:30 - and I know I translated that part correctly. Then, I called back, and they said he would come over this afternoon around 4, that was 5 hours ago and hmmmm...no internet guy. Maybe 4 is a relative term too, or maybe he was driving at a high speed in this high place (maybe even high) and, well.........

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Joy,

I was so happy to see you last night even if it was for a short while. I'm thankful for internet!

I enjoy reading your entries, thanks for the giggle this morning. Praying for all of you and that poor internet guy!

With all my love, Your BFF

Josh said...

Haha. Our internet guy came really fast and set us up. The Internet worked great for three days.

We called tech support, and they confirmed our internet was not working. ("Uh, thanks.") Then they scheduled an appointment with a tech a week later.

So we checked our email and surfed the Web at the Mobil station, which has free wifi and a little cafe area.