Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Hobby?

Where on earth did the word hobby come from? I mean, how could that word have anything to do with a pleasurable pastime? I was wondering this on the way home from the banquet tonight, for the first time. So, I looked it up. I still don't really get the connection. It comes from hobbyhorse. Now I know what a hobbyhorse is, the horse head on a stick, got it. And that is where hobby comes from, seriously? English is stupid. Apparently in the 1600s people were comparing the pursuit of any activity to the riding of a toy horse. Maybe I didn't ride enough toy horses as a kid to see the connection.
Where is this all coming from you may ask? Some distinct need to find a hobby to pursue, or just the time to do one. Nope. We were at the Middle School banquet listening to all the biographies. In addition to music, almost all the kids had the same hobby. Can you guess what it was?
Facebook. I wonder how the people who came up with the word hobby would feel about facebook being considered one. Now what on earth does facebook have to do with a horse head on a stick?

No comments: